Friday, June 27, 2008

I think I've fallen in love again

with Texas Country music.

I guess this would be a good time to talk about my love for Texas Country. The farthest back I can remember listening to it is probably 1998 or somewhere around there. And that was when it was people like Pat Green, Cory Morrow, and Jack Ingram. So, in the past decade, I have really grown to love the music and it's pretty much all I listen to now...it has taken over my ipod. When I was at SFA, I went to all kinds of concerts and really loved the live music. When I moved to Lubbock, I got out of going to live concerts and lost track of up and coming artists. I found a few here and there, but it's was nothing like the last year. I also started to despise going to concerts because I hated the hot, sweaty crowded crowds and drunk, annoying people.

Well, this last year has really opened my eyes to all the new acts out there. When I moved to San Antonio, I was so excited to be able to listen to KVET in Austin again. They were always my source for the latest and greatest in Texas Country. I can't always get them in my truck in SA, but I could stream at work, so I got my fill. Well, then they decided to fire Sam and Janice Williams (who is a wonderful source of all things Texas Country), and I sorta went on a KVET strike. I'll still listen to them when I can in my truck and of course when I am in Austin, but it's just not the same.
That was in October, and it was a few months before I discovered 92.5 here in San Antonio. It has become my new source of Texas Country music and I have begun to get acquainted and reacquainted with all kinds of artists. My ipod is now refreshed!

So, I haven't been to a concert in ages. Last year at the Schulenburg Festival was the last one I had been to. Beore that had been in April 2006 for Aaron Watson, and that was a disasterous night! Wednesday night, I went again. Yes, on a work night! But it was Bleu Edmonson at The County Line here in SA and it was FREE! I have always been a fan of his, but not as big of a fan like I am to other artists. However, I have been listening to his latest album online lately, and have really enjoyed it, so I wanted to go check it out. I was amazed!! It was probably one of the best shows I have seen! And it was in the perfect place. The weather was nice...not too hot, slight breeze. It was crowded, but not to the point where you couldn't move. And the drunk people were to a minimum. I did get a cup of beer splashed on me, which I still don't know how that happened, but it wasn't a mood killer.
Now I want to get back into going to concerts. My only complaints would have to be that it was in such a small venue, there was no room to dance. And that's really what makes it a lot more fun. Also, when they are playing a smaller venue, why can't they turn the speakers down just a notch or two and it would make it sound so much better.
And now, I'll end this with some of my favorites.










No comments: