Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My childhood was a lie!

Not really my whole childhood, just one very big part of it.

My mom's mom, Grandma Elsie, always made chocolate chip cookies. When we would come home from school, there would usually be a butter container (or two) full of cookies by the garage door. They were always so good!!!! Any time we were at her house, she always had some around. Well, around 5 or 6 years ago, she started to go downhill, and of course didn't make cookies anymore, and 2 years ago she passed away.

I've thought about those cookies a few times in the last few years, and always made a mental note to ask my mom if she had found the recipe. I, of course, always forgot to ask. Until this weekend.

When I got home on Friday, I needed to run to the store to pick up a few last minute items for some things I was making. My sister said she wanted to go to because she needed to get ingredients for Ryan's birthday present...he had said he wanted someone to make him Grandma Elsie's Chocolate Chip Cookies. When I heard that I said, " Ohh, you have the recipe? I was wondering what it was. Can a get a copy?" And then my dad says, "Sure you can! It's on the back of the chocolate chip bag." To which my response is, "Huh? Are you sure?" Oh yeah, he was dead serious. She had copied the recipe from the bag. Like literally, made a copy of the recipe on the bag. Talk about your all time disappointments! I really could not believe it. I had to see for myself exactly how it looked. And it looked just like the recipe on the bag. We always thought she had some kind of secret recipe or something. Who would have thought that it was staring at us everytime we looked at a bag of chocolate chips?

Rach made a batch this weekend and they turned out pretty good. She got mad at me because I kept stealing tastes of the batter! They didn't really taste exactly like Grandma's, but they were still good and reminded us of those butter containers!

Photobucket

No comments: