Friday, July 31, 2009

Show Us Your Life - Wedding Party & Flowers

The whole idea for our wedding was 'simple'. But still elegant and classy. I wanted things to coordinate, but not be necessarily matched perfectly. I think I was able to pull it off really well! The ceremony was at a small country church that was built in the late 1800s, where my great-grandparents went to church in the early 1900s and my grandparents continue to go to today. My dad's parents were married there almost 65 years ago.




My sister, Rachel, was my Maid of Honor. My Bridesmaids were my best friend, Jennifer, my other best friend, Amy, and my cousin, Sarah.


Sarah, Amy, me, Rachel, Jennifer













The boys were quite a bunch! They definitely kept us all entertained that weekend!









I absolutely loved the flowers for my wedding! I graduated with a horticulture degree so the flowers were very tough for me to figure out. I knew I wouldn't need or want any for the church, because it is beautiful by itself and needs no other decor, and I didn't want a whole lot for the reception because it's beauty stood alone as well. I hem-hawed around for quite a while trying to decide what would be the best flowers. And then it hit me. I was standing in line at the store and saw the cover for Real Simple Weddings. It had a bride sitting down holding a bouquet of just dark purple hydrangeas. That is when I knew exactly what I wanted! I love hydrangeas in any color, but my colors were dark purple, red, and champagne, so it was perfect! I wanted the bridesmaid's bouquet to be just the dark purple hydrangeas. And for mine, the hydrangeas with red roses. These bouquets turned out so well!!









Since the reception was at a B&B with a barn, I wanted to do something really simple, so we just did a few arrangements of purple carnations.

The best part of the story is from a few months after the wedding. On the wedding day, the lady who was helping coordinate things picked up the flowers and told me that the florist (who is a good family friend) told her that she would never work with hydrangeas again! I kind of laughed because I know that they can be delicate flowers. Well, a few months later, my mom asks if she had told me the story about the flowers. Apparently, the flower guy gets to the florist's shop on the Thursday before the wedding and all the purple hydrangeas she had ordered were horrible looking. She's freaking out and asking the guy what is she supposed to do because she needs these flowers. He said that he had some white hydrangeas, so she took those and spent the night dyeing these white hydrangeas purple, just for the wedding! I couldn't believe it! No wonder she never wants to work with them again! But I love her because the flowers were gorgeous!



Photobucket

3 comments:

The Fabulous Faby's said...

I love barn weddings...so beautiful!

Anne said...

Excellent photos!! The picture of the rings inside the roses is beautiful! Congratulations! :)

Unknown said...

Great story about the flowers.
I love the dresses that you picked out for the bridemaids.
I've so enjoyed looking at all the ladies' wedding photos. There's so much love, beauty and creativity.
I love your dress. Everyone looks so gorgeous.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful day!