Wednesday, December 17, 2008

You better watch out!

This past weekend was full of fun and excitement! Dad came into town Friday night so we could take our Concealed Handgun Renewal class on Saturday and then the range on Sunday. We got up early Saturday and got to class. There had to have been at least a hundred people there. The place was packed! You could tell that a lot of people were probably because Obama has been elected President and they think he's going to outlaw guns or something. And then there were the girls who were there that you could tell were dragged there by the boyfriends or husbands. Very diverse and interesting crowd. The instructor was great. Very funny guy who works for the DA's office with juveniles. We only had to stay til about 10:30, but it probably would have been interesting to stay all day just to see what he had to say. I'm so thankful we were only doing a renewal because a new license was lasting until 4:30 or so. That is way too long to sit! After we left class, we picked up Josh, ate some lunch, checked out some model homes, and then headed to The Rim so Dad could fix his bluetooth and go to Bass Pro. We ran some other errands and then headed home to get ready to go to a reception for Josh's old roomie Kurt and his new wife.

But before we could get ready, we had to clean the gun so it would be ready to shoot for the next day. You wanna talk about funny. You would have thought we had never seen a gun before in our lives. Neither dad, nor Josh, nor I could figure out how to disassemble the dang thing. We pretty much knew what it was supposed to do, but for the life of us, couldn't figure out how to get it to where we needed it to be. It got so bad, I was banging on the little pin that needed to come out with the head of a nail and a hammer. Finally, I told Dad that I was going to google it to see if Smith and Wesson had their manuals online. Well, they had them, but not for the model he has. On Yahoo Answers, somebody had posted about how to clean a gun and someone responded with, "If you don't know how to clean it, you probably shouldn't own one!" I couldn't agree more, but geez! I could feel the posters pain! Finally, I spotted a You Tube link with how to disassemble a gun, and lo and behold, it was similar to Dad's!!! Who would have thought that YouTube would be our saving grace? We had one small oversight that prevented us from doing anything with it. Thank the Lord for YouTube and Google!

This brings me to Sunday. We head out to the range with Josh. There were quite a few people there already. We helped them set up the targets and then we got ready to shoot. I let Dad go first because I was pretty nervous. Until that day, I had only shot his 9mm twice...once almost 5 years ago when I first qualified, and the second the weekend before when I went home to practice. He did really well, and was probably one of the best in his round of 20 people. The guy that was next to him kept ogling at how well dad was doing and just couldn't believe it. He asked dad where he learned how to shoot, and dad just kinda laughed as Josh said, "on the farm." It was too funny. This guy then said that today was his best grouping ever and his shots were all over the place! His wife was shooting too, and her gun had a laser sight on it. Oh my gosh! That laser was jumping all over the place! I really don't know how she made it onto the target! I just kept thinking, 'She is going to have a license and a handgun?'

Then it was my turn to shoot. There was a girl numbering targets and what number did I get? Lucky #13! I told her that if I did bad, I was going to blame it on her! Well, #13 turned out to be pretty lucky for me. I did really well! The guy next to me kept commenting on how well I was doing, although he didn't do too badly himself. And then the instructor's wife caught site of my target and started saying, "Everyone look at #13!!" Oh my gosh! I was so embarassed!! Below are pics dad took with his phone.


From 7 yards

Watching the guy next to me and his jamming gun


From 15 yards

My target with the middle blown out!

My target and me!!
The guy next to me said I should get a sticker made for my truck that says, "Stay out of my way!"




Photobucket


No comments: